Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Making Waffles in the Dark

I teach a Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature class at our homeschooling co-op. These kids are some of the most creative and funny teenagers on the planet. So when they requested a waffle party for our last day of classes, I smiled at the quirky request.

Until 4am this morning, when I woke to begin making several dozen from my mother's best recipe. I frowned when I realized we were out of eggs. Through bleary eyes, I made the drive to the mini-mart, groaning all the way.

But there is something miraculous about making that batter. As I measured, sift, separated, and folded, the smile returned. This was a silly little labor of love for my students.

My students. There is something almost unfair about teaching the kids at our co-op. Kids that are quirky individuals, passionate about books and music, yet consider adults friends. I love having a class that not only looks you in the eye, but steps up to the challenges of the course and want to exceed it, as a group.

This morning, however, I don't want to focus on the coursework. I am just thinking about these amazing students. From all my classes, over the years. Today is the final day of this year, and the final day for a dozen amazing seniors that we graduate this year. I've literally watched these kids grow up, and have shared so many laughs and triumphs along the way.

For them, pre-dawn baking is my pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. WOO HOO! I'm so glad I kept subscribed to the old blog and can follow you hear. Been wondering what you've been up to.

    I've not been blogging about homeschooling much but I'm still around. And heading into homeschool high school with F.

    ReplyDelete