Friday, May 20, 2011

The Annual Summer Reading List

Every year I try to put together a summer reading list for Girlie. To make our list, a book must not be merely twaddle (ie. brain twinkies). I strive to select books that are not only enjoyable, but will encourage deeper thinking and great discussion on the themes they offer. I also look for books that convey time and place with great detail, which encites a deeper understanding and interest in history or geography.

While some books I've selected are classics, I have added a few newer to me at the suggestion of friends. This year, Girlie showed a growing interest in history and certain events, so a few choices were geared toward that. As she is entering her junior year of high school, I also chose some that I think are ripe for literary analysis. And for the first time, she added three* of her own interest that have nothing to do with her usual genre!

1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty White
2.Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn (Anne of Green Gables meets Fahrenheit 451)
3. Lord of the Flies by William Golding*
4. Night by Elie Weisel
5.The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne *
6.The Secret Lives of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
7. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee *
8. Witch Child by Celia Rees
9. Year of Wonder by Geraldine Brooks
10. Her selection, for me to read as well.

A few favorites have been postponed as she will be reading them in her Literary Analysis class this year. Others, such as those by Rand, Huxley, Salinger, Atwood, PAth, etc, will be better suited for next summer after she has learned more method through the class.

But, as always, I am searching for a few more. Any suggestions? And please, no Brit lit. She'd rather get a root canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment